Uncover our history
Over the past 185 years, Scotiabank has built a legacy of commitment to our clients around the world. Across the Global Banking and Markets division, we continue to evolve our business to provide comprehensive, timely, and relevant service.
Our history dates back to 1832 – the year when The Bank of Nova Scotia was founded. This also marks the year that the first Bank note was issued. For the duration of the 19th century, and throughout the next, Bank branches expanded across Canada, into the U.S., and overseas.
In addition to its growing retail services, The Bank of Nova Scotia began providing corporate banking services from its New York offices in the early 1980s. In response to client demand, the offering was expanded to other U.S. cities and into Canada by 1983.
In 1988, The Bank of Nova Scotia acquired McLeod Young Weir (later renamed ScotiaMcLeod Inc.), a leading Toronto brokerage firm founded in 1921.
In November 1995, the wholesale arm of ScotiaMcLeod was formally integrated with the capital markets businesses of The Bank of Nova Scotia under the marketing banner, Scotia Capital Markets. Complementing its combined capabilities, The Bank of Nova Scotia successfully acquired the long-standing leading dealer in bullion, The Mocatta Group, and formed its precious and base metals business under the marketing banner, ScotiaMocatta.
In November 1999, The Bank of Nova Scotia’s corporate banking businesses and Scotia Capital Markets were integrated to form Scotia Capital – a marketing banner for the wholesale division of the Bank and some of its subsidiaries.
In January 2012, to better reflect the growing international reach of the Corporate and Investment Banking and Capital Markets businesses, and to better align with the Bank’s other business lines, the Scotia Capital brand name was discontinued, and the wholesale businesses are now branded as the Global Banking and Markets division of Scotiabank.